Red-Tailed Hawk Story: A Trio of Adorable Gs

At last, all 3 Gs are here! They hatched between 4/20 and 4/23 and are all happy and healthy nestlings.

HATCH CERTIFICATES BY GHENT ART

2016 Hatch Certificate-G1

2016 Hatch Certificate-G2

2016 Hatch Certificate-G3

G1 HATCHING

CLICK HERE FOR HATCH VIDEO (dennisehelaine)

On 4/19, a “star crack” appeared in one of the eggs. By 1:50 PM on 4/20, we observed G1’s beak moving in the hole in the egg.

0420 1350 Movement of Beak in Pip 1

Interestingly enough, BR helped G1 hatch, crushing the eggshell away with her talons. *behavior we have not seen before*

20160420_182826

4/20 @ 6:28 PM

20160420_182849

4/20 @ 6:28 PM

br helps G1 hatch

20160420_185041

4/20 @ 6:50 PM

20160420_190020

4/20 @ 7:00 PM BR nibbling on eggshell for calcium replenishment

G2 HATCH

CLICK HERE FOR HATCH VIDEO (elly)

G2’s pip was first noted at 5:24 AM on 4/20, prior to G1’s hatch.

20160421_061831

04/21 @ 6:18 AM

G2 hatched after G1 had his or her first feeding. Hatch was observed at 8:32 AM.

20160421_083317_G2

4/21 @ 8:32 AM

BR and G2

20160421_120508

4/21 @ 12:05 PM

20160421_122002

4/21 @ 12:20 PM BR shading G1, G2, and G3 still to hatch

20160421_130536

4/21 @ 1:05 PM

20160421_133805

4/21 @ 1:38 PM BR loves to preen the kids.

20160422_080730

4/22 @ 8:07 AM The squabbling has already begun!

20160422_164252

4/22 @ 4:42 PM Two angelic faces

G3 HATCHING

CLICK HERE FOR HATCH VIDEO (elly)

G3 hatched with a bit of drama – first it was, “is it a pip?” around noon on 4/21. Video by dennisehelaine

We waited. And waited. On 4/22 we had hardly any views of the Gs and the egg (thanks to BR. We love you BR, but….) This continued throughout the night and then it was, “is there a hatch”? Keysfishin stayed up all night starting at midnight to operate the cam. BR was seen tossing a bit of eggshell out and she had some eggshell on her beak. She provided only glimpses of G3. At 6:33 AM, she stood…and nope, no hatch yet!

20160423_063319

4/23 @ 6:33 AM

At 7:13 AM, BR provided an exceedingly brief view of a wet hatchling – and when I say “exceedingly brief,” I mean that I had to go through recording footage several times and only found two video frames. We were unable to ascertain whether there had been a full hatch.

20160423_071341_CROP

Finally, at 7:37 AM, we were able to confirm that G3 was indeed hatched. WHEW! Perhaps that is what BR thought too, as she was very restless prior to the 7:37 view.

20160423_105722

4/23 @ 10:57 AM

20160423_121024

4/23 @ 12:10 PM

20160423_121710

4/23 @ 12:17 PM. Although the nestlings may seem to be aggressively squabbling at times, keep in mind that there is no shortage of prey at this nest and that this phase is very short-lived.

20160423_121814

4/23 @ 12:18 PM

20160423_140332_Ezra Arrival

4/23 @ 2:03 PM

20160423_165424

4/23 @ 4:54 PM

20160423_170407

4/23 @ 5:04 PM

SLIDESHOW – VIEWER SCAPS

Click here to view our slideshow of fabulous viewer scaps on YouTube!

EZRA

The night before G1 hatched, Ezra had an unusually late shift on the nest. ClareEliz decided to take an impromptu cam tour and found BR perched on the railing, where she stayed for some time. *behavior we have not seen before*

4/19 @ 10:59 PM, video by dennisehelaine

You may also remember the night of 3/16 when she and Ez left 2 eggs uncovered all night prior to hard incubation. *behavior we have not seen before* There was of course some concern that the eggs might not hatch. It seems that we have all gotten a lesson in “Trust BR”!

3/17 @ 6:41 AM, video by ncaerie

The week of hatching, Ezra did not have many turns on the nest and BR did not take very long breaks. On 4/21, we were reminded again of Ez’s amusing feeding style: careful, tiny bites! The below picture shows an “Ez-sized bite” on the left and a “BR-sized bite” on the right. Click on the picture to see it full-sized on Flickr.

EZ-Sized Bite vs BR-sized Bite

On 4/22 he was seen giving BR the “stink eye” when she returned after only 15 minutes.

20160422_194601

4/22 @ 7:46 PM

Although we don’t see him as often, he is always around – on guard and hunting for his family.

20160420_200439

4/20 @ 8:00 PM, after G1 hatched

20160422_182541

04/22 @ 6:25 PM, on nearby light tower

20160423_060034-vert-0631_Ez

4/23 @ 6:00 AM – 6:31 AM. Ezra stayed with BR for half an hour even though she wasn’t budging. *behavior we have not seen before*

PREY BROUGHT TO NEST

Ezra is a prolific hunter, to say the least! The 2016 Post-Hatch Spreadsheet has been started. Help us keep it up to date by reporting your observations!

BEHAVIORS WE HAVE NOT SEEN BEFORE

Four instances of behavior we have not seen before were noted in this post:

• BR leaving two eggs all night before hard incubation (3/16)
  • Ez with late shift (left after 11 PM) while BR watches on railing (4/19)
  • BR assisting G1’s hatch (4/20)
  • Ez staying with BR for half an hour even though she wasn’t budging (4/23)

OTHER LINKS

2016, Week 5

27 Comments

1. Maureen M. says:

Elly, you’ve done absolutely phenomenal work…as usual! I can’t wait to show my students the slideshow tomorrow morning and watch their expressions when the slide with our Hatch Watch chart appears on the screen. The show is a stunner! Thank you so much.

Liked by 2 people

2. Wow, thanks so much this year I was away in Peru and missed all hatches, but thanks to you efforts I just caught all of them, Ty,Ty, Ty, it was great to watch, amazing efforts by all!!!

3. Toni Rosen says:

Oh Elly, you have outdone yourself with that slideshow! Just too brilliant. I don’t know how you got the parts of the music to fit so well. And what a great story you told. You were much more kind and diplomatic than I could have been regarding the hatch of that G3 character. πŸ™‚

• elly k says:

LOL! Actually as I wrote that part I was thinking of you. I didn’t think anyone could understand the torture that G3 put you through being that it is now all hindsight! πŸ˜‰

4. Laura Culley says:

Elly what can I say but <3! With everything going on in my life, I missed all three hatches this year and yet, because of you (and the other chatters), I didn't miss anything. Thank you is so insufficient, but THANK YOU!
    Laura

• elly k says:

So glad that we could help catch you up when so many other things in life demand attention! β™₯

• Laura Culley says:

It’s bigger than that Elly…there’s so much magic in those moments, so MUCH magic and sheer joy that there just aren’t words to go there. Once again, you’ve blessed me enormously. I’m so over-the-top grateful!

5. drootmd says:

Thank you for all your work to keep us current on the G’s….wonderfully done.

6. Lois (Flowerfanatic) says:

Elly, this is more than fabulous!! I’m a very emotional person and watching all this at one time brings on tears of joy, gladness, and so much love for our beautiful hawk family it’s impossible to express. This one is definitely a keeper to view over and over.

7. Judith Brennan says:

Thank you Elly. though I get t spend a lot of time watching and joining chat, I missed the hatches. Your work is such a gift and I thank you again. Being able to participate in watching BR & EZ raise their families is a true gift.

• elly k says:

You’re welcome Judith! I agree, this whole experience is a gift and I am thankful to the Lab for bringing it to us and to the hawk cam community for making it something we can enjoy together.

8. Kathryn Hoffman aka Hanni says:

This is just so incredible, Elly. I see a Pulitzer in your future!! Thank you so much for all your hard work documenting our beloved RTH family. We are so indebted to you for all you do to keep us up to date and informed.

9. shirley wendell says:

Thanks so much for this Elly. It was wonderful to watch.

10. Darlene V Quinn says:

I so enjoyed watching the slide show. Viewers sent some great scaps and you did a fabulous job editing. Love it! You do such great work!

11. Lynn Meier says:

Elly–
    This newsletter and the slideshow are phenomenal! It really is a source of learning, not just catching up. Gathering all this info together in one place has added a whole new dimension to the RTHA cam. Thanks so much for all your hard work. And, BTW, Dennise is doing a great job, too!

• elly k says:

Thanks so much Lynn! I’m so glad to hear you say that because that is one of my goals in doing this blog – combine the joy of the experience with learning. I know that that is what the Lab envisions too with Bird Cams. And I agree, Dennise is fabulous!

12. Birdieluvr says:

Elly–You RHAWK! You are a blogger extrordinaire, for sure! Thanks for all you do to enhance our CU Hawk Cam experience. Your day must have more than 24 hours!

13. Valerie Sauers says:

Elly, thank you so much for your beautiful and thoughtful work! BR and EZ continue to educate us in the way of the red-tail! On that note, I am so grateful for all your observations. I really appreciate your pointing out all the things we had never observed before. (Who would’ve thought we could learn so much five years in!) That’s precisely why we look to your blog to catch us up: You not only recap events so well, you inform and educate us. Many thanks!

• elly k says:

Thank you Valerie! It really is interesting how BR and Ez keep providing us with new things to think about. I don’t know what any of them “mean” – if anything – but, still interesting! Thank you so much for sharing your wonderful certificates and scaps with us!